1st, here’s a neat video from Carl Medearis.
Favorite quote: “It’s okay to make sense. It’s okay to make the good news sound like good news.”
2nd, I was preaching this weekend and I had one of those great moments when I was really shaken by what I was talking about. I want to share a little of it with you.
In Isaiah 58 God is talking about how people fast in useless ways. After pointing out how stupid a purely ‘religious’ fast is, he goes on to outline what a real fast looks like and what the result of real fasting is. I chopped the passage up and tossed it into a table for you. Check it out:
Proper fasting is when you…
If you do it, then…
- Loosen the bonds of wickedness.
- Undo the bands of the yoke.
- Let the oppressed go free.
- Break every yoke.
- Bring the homeless into your home.
- Cover the naked when you see him.
- Don’t hide yourself from your own flesh.
- V. 6-7
- Your light will break out like the dawn.
- Your recovery will speedily spring forth.
- Your righteousness will go before you.
- The glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
- You will call, and the LORD will answer.
- You will cry, he will say ‘Here I am.’
- V. 8-9
- Remove the yoke from your midst.
- Remove the pointing of the finger and speaking of wickedness (lit: panting, uselessness).
- Draw out your soul to the hungry.
- Satisfy the soul of the afflicted.
- V. 9-10
- Your light will rise in darkness.
- Your gloom (misfortune) will be like midday.
- The Lord will always guide you.
- The Lord will satisfy your soul in scorched places.
- The Lord will give strength to your bones.
- You will be like a watered garden.
- You will be like a spring whose waters don’t fail.
- Those from among you will rebuild the ancient ruins.
- You will raise up age-old foundations.
- You will be called: Repairer of the Breach.
- You will be called: Restorer of the streets in which to dwell.
- V. 10-12
I love how the right hand side is so much bigger than the left!
This is second-hand unless you’re reading it at http://www.theilliteratescribe.com