The joys of Google…
I must say, I have a special place in my heart for Google. I’m sure there are people out there who disagree and who think that Google is out to take over the web. That may very well be true, but I think they’d do a much better job of the whole thing than Microsoft. I just want to go through a little list of reasons why I respect what Google is doing and why I like them so much.
- The Software Principles they hold to produce a wonderful software ethic.
- The Ten Things that spell out their business philosophy are admirable.
- The work they put into Innovation. Google seems to create wonderful services first and then try and find some way to make money.
- The 20% rule. Every employee of Google is encouraged to use 20% of their working hours to put towards their own projects. Because of this, services like Orkut and Keyhole have come into being.
- All of their products are “cleaner” than the majority of the web. No flashy banners or pop-ups, the only ads that they make are tasteful, quasi-relevant and out of the way.
Anyway, I like Google. I just felt I had to put that into words.
Two very important days are drawing neigh for the Cook family. Our first child will be arriving in under 90 days or so, and only a bit more than a month after that, we’ll be heading off to Ruth’s homeland of Pakistan. What exciting times are ahead! Speaking of Ruth:
Here is a picture of Ruth today, at the end of 7 months! The days are counting down, exciting, eh?